Florida Covered Farm Vehicles


A straight truck or an articulated (combination) commercial motor vehicle is a Covered Farm Vehicle when it is operated in accordance with 49 CFR Section 390.5 and 390.39, for vehicles that operate in interstate commerce and Sections 316.003(14) and 316.302(3), Florida Statutes, for vehicles that operate solely in intrastate commerce, regardless of how the vehicle is otherwise classified for purposes of motor vehicle registration or how it operates at other times. Operating in accordance with the above-mentioned federal and state regulations means the Covered Farm Vehicle meets all conditions, as described below.
  • To be eligible for the Covered Farm Vehicle exemption, the vehicle or combination of vehicles must be transporting agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery, or supplies to or from a farm or ranch;
    • If it has a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating (whichever is greater) of 26,001 pounds or less, it may transport such commodities, livestock, machinery, or supplies anywhere in Florida or the United States; or
    • If it has a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle rating (whichever is greater) of more than 26,001 pounds, it may transport such commodities, livestock, machinery, or supplies anywhere in Florida and, if it crosses state lines, only within 150 air miles of the farm or ranch for which the vehicle is operating.
  • It is operated by an owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or by an employee or a family member of an owner or operator of said farm or ranch;
  • It always carries a Covered Farm Vehicle designation certificate while operating as a farm vehicle, to allow law enforcement officers to identify it as a Covered Farm Vehicle. (Note: Covered Farm Vehicles registered in other states may have different registration and display requirements);
  • It is not transporting hazardous materials in amounts that require placarding pursuant to provisions in the Federal Code of Regulations (49 CFR Part 172).
  • Is not being used in a for-hire motor carrier operation. (Tenants transporting their landlord's portion of crops pursuant to a crop-share farm lease agreement are not considered for-hire motor carrier operators.)


Covered Farm Vehicles and their operators are exempt from certain federal provisions governing motor carriers:
  • Controlled Substances and Alcohol Use and Testing (49 CFR Part 382)
  • Commercial Driver's License Standards; Requirements, and Penalties (49 CFR Part 383)
  • Physical Qualifications and Examinations (Subpart E of 49 CFR Part 391)
  • Hours of Service of Drivers (49 CFR Part 395); and
  • Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance (49 CFR Part 396)


Operators of Covered Farm Vehicles shall self-certify that their vehicle meets all of the criteria for exemption by completing the Designation Form (click "Create Certificate" button, above). A copy of the completed form must be carried in the power unit of the Covered Farm Vehicle during all round trip Covered operations. Further guidance on regulations can be found on our Covered Farm Vehicles page.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Covered Farm Vehicles are Not Exempt from the following:

  • Any other federal or state registration, dimension, or safety provision applicable to farm vehicles;
  • International Registration Plan (IRP) registration, if the farm vehicle is IRP qualified; and
  • International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) licensing, if the farm vehicle is IFTA qualified.